Thursday, January 21, 2010

30 Day Challenge, Day 7: Second series blues

I eagerly bounced into my second series class tonight. I popped out my mat, took a supine hip opener, and ensured that I had a fresh band-aid affixed to my injured toe. Class began; we dove into our first sun salutation. I was feeling pretty good, not as energetic as usual, but I figured that that would change. Then our second. Whew, my arms feel a little bit weak. Then the third and the fourth. I tried to work through the weariness. After struggling through the fifth, we transitioned to sun salutation B, and I pushed myself through three repetitions. 


By this time, my limbs were shaking, my muscles were becoming wobbly, and my breath was quick and shallow. I kept telling myself I could work through it, but my body won out. By the time I reached my third downward dog, my knees moved right down to my mat. Before I could even process what was happening, my body moved right into child’s pose. I was thinking so much about why this was happening, why I could do ten salutations two days ago, barely breaking a sweat, and today I could hardly breathe. After judging myself and trying to figure out what was going on, it occurred to me.

I am tired.

Seven days, and seven practices. I have never gone more than three days without taking a day off. My body is not quite sure what is happening to it, and it was asking me for a rest. I listened. I stayed in child’s pose for a little while, and then rejoined the class. I decided to continue to listen to my body and breath, and modify or take a resting pose when I needed to. I substituted some downward dogs with child's pose, and I chose "legs up the wall" for my inversion. 


It was an excellent decision. By the end of the practice, instead of feeling exhausted, I was refreshed and energized. 


Tonight I learned that my perfect practice, need not necessarily be a "perfect practice."




Following my second series practice, I assisted a level 1 hot flow class.


This is probably my eighth time assisting, and I cannot believe how far I have come in terms of my ability to assist and deliver adjustments. When I first began, I was nervous as I approached students. Last night I approached students confidently, and provided adjustments without any uncertainty. I used to deliberately seek out students who needed assistance. Now, it just comes naturally to me. 


Most surprisingly, last night I experienced something completely new to me. In every single adjustment I made, I could hear the student audibly let out an, "ahh." I am used to this sound when I lengthen a student's spine in child's pose, or when I push on their sacrum in downward dog. But I have never heard this during a trikonasana (and paviritta) adjustment, nor during bridge. 


I don't know what it was that I was doing differently, but I am quite glad that my students liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment