Wednesday, January 20, 2010

30 Day Challenge, Day 6: Easy does it

Ow. 


A gentle practice should not be hurting me this much. The class I attended today was a gentle, mostly restorative hatha practice. We moved through poses like trikonasana at the wall, spinal waves, wide-legged child's poses and forward bends, in a slow, focused sequence. To finish class, we lied in savasana, propped up by a bolster and a blanket.


After a long, restful savasana I got up to leave class. Feeling tranquil and steady, I opened the door. 


Before I tell of what happened next, it is important to understand that I am hopelessly clumsy. I fall walking up stairs, I walk into walls, and I usually face-plant if ever the sidewalk on which I am walking changes elevation. I have used yoga balance poses over the past three years to treat my chronic klutziness, and have seen quite a bit of improvement in my ability to remain upright for reasonably long periods of time.




Perhaps today I was so relaxed by the practice that I let go of some effort, or maybe I was less focused than usual, because as I opened that door I ran it right over my big toe, subsequently squishing it, tearing off a piece of my toenail, and cutting a nice gash right through the digit. The worst part, however, was the fact that others in the class were still relaxing as I left and as such, letting out a loud expletive to diffuse the pain was not an option.


With closed eyes and a clenched jaw I asked for a band-aid, and hurried out of the studio.


My toe is still throbbing, despite soaking it in sea salts and bathing it in witch hazel. Although I am certain that I am not the only person who leaves a gentle hatha class feeling like they are walking on air,  I am probably the only one to walk on air right into the sharp edge of a door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment