Monday, January 18, 2010

30 Day Challenge, Day 4: Back to Basics

There are certain classes that I usually attend every week. Primary series, second series, and level 2 flows usually make up my weekly schedule.


Rarely, if ever, do I make it out to an introductory class. Usually if I entertain the thought of going, I think about how I should save my energy for second series the following night, or how I am too tired from yesterday's hot level 2. 


I, however, no longer have the luxury of 'taking the night off' and decided to make it out to an introduction to ashtanga class this evening. I decided to have dinner before class (something I never do), because I figured that it would be an easier class. Right?


Wrong. There was no vinyasa. We didn't do one sun salutation. Not even a single downward dog. Then why was it hard, you're asking?


We held our poses for much longer than usual, focused greatly on alignment and concentrated on keeping a strong, steady breath. Using tadasana (mountain pose) as the basis for all other standing poses, keeping our thighs internally rotated and our feet pushing towards the midline of our bodies in the Warriors and lunges made the already challenging poses even more so. 


The use of props and modifications were central to tonight's practice. When I moved into trikonasana using a block, I thought that I would remove it quickly from under my hand and instead place my hand on the floor. I soon realized, however, that using the block was affording me a different experience in triangle pose. I found it more natural to extend through my arms, and focus on squaring my hips. I kept the block where it was.


When we moved into uttitha hasta padangusthasana-my greatest nemesis-, we held onto our knees instead of our big toe as modification. I thought I would quickly switch my grasp from my knee to my big toe. I soon realized that I could work my standing leg far better if I held on to my knee rather than toe, and that I was building a more stable pose. I kept my grasp where it was.


This class, more reminiscent of Iyengar than ashtanga, was a perfect way to reconnect with fundamental poses and their alignment principles.


It was during a plank sequence in the middle of class that I resolved never to eat dinner an hour before an intro class again.

No comments:

Post a Comment