Thursday, January 28, 2010

30 Day Challenge, Day 14: Take it easyyy

Judging this week's designation as the week of "firsts," it is only fitting that in tonight's second series class, I had another first.


My first yoga injury (well, other than the toe-stub incident). Yes, you heard that right. Although it seems oxymoronic, I did indeed do something screwy to my shoulder this evening. 


Perhaps I hyper-extended my shoulder or pulled it too far out of its socket (as I sometimes tend to do), but following my second parivrtta parsvakonasana, I started hurting. Katie noticed, and immediately came over to me. I told her that I thought that I had injured it just then, and that I could not lift my arm, or rotate it in its socket. She began kneading it, and we both guessed that it was a muscle-thing. 


I continued with the practice, omitting chaturanga and downward dog, and replacing it with cobra and child's pose. As the practice progressed, there were a number of asanas that I could not access.


But I was okay with this. My body has been working hard for the last 14 days, and pain is an indication to slow it down. So I did.


I am sure it is just a muscle injury, so I will see an active release massage therapist Friday, after which I'll be right back on my mat, taking it as easy as my body tells me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment